Turn a classic Waldorf salad into a delightful light lunch by adding cooked chicken. Chicken, grapes, apples, walnuts, celery, mayo, yogurt and lemon juice. A delicious year round salad.
I know winter is all about soups, stews and braises. Comfort foods in a bowl or plate. Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you need to stop eating salads. You just need to be little bit more clever, a little more resourceful.
With global produce available year round, you can keep eating in the winter, the way you ate all summer long. But I find there is something fun and challenging about using produce with a little bit of fall or wintery slant to them.
For a light lunch or dinner though, my favorite has become this Chicken Waldorf Salad.
Ingredients for Chicken Waldorf Salad
- Chicken – shredded cooked breast. Can use rotisserie chicken or these Instant Pot Poached Chicken Breasts.
- Grapes – either red or green seedless.
- Walnuts – toasted or these candied walnuts would be wonderful!
- Apples – No need to peel.
- Mayonnaise – this avocado mayo is my new favorite!
- Plain Yogurt – whole milk or lowfat.
- Lemon Juice – fresh squeezed is best.
How to Make A Chicken Waldorf Salad
Cut cooked chicken into bite sized pieces. Cut seedless grapes in half. Dice celery. Dice apples – no need to peel. Add all to a large bowl. Whisk together yogurt, mayo and lemon juice. Add to bowl and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a lettuce leaf on a plate (optional, but adds a nice touch) and top with salad. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
If you make this Chicken Waldorf Salad, be sure and let me know. I’d love to hear what you thought about it.
Some other Chicken Salads you might like:
- Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Curried Chicken Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad with Fresh Mint
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 cup seedless grapes halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted or candied
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 apple diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- lettuce leaves for serving
- Place diced chicken, halved grapes, diced celery, and diced apple in a large bowl.
- In a dry skillet toast walnuts over medium-hight heat until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl combine mayo, yogurt and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a lettuce leaf on each plate (optional, but it looks nice.) Mound chicken salad on top. Sprinkle walnuts over.
- No need to peel the apples.
- Toast walnuts for extra flavor or use these Candied Walnuts.
- Can use all yogurt, all mayo or a combination of both.
This was originally posted in 2015 and has been updated for 2019.