This white bean salad is the perfect year round side dish! It goes great with winter braises and is perfect for a barbecue!
Made with mostly pantry ingredients, this is an easy side dish you'll turn to time and time again.
It's no secret that beans are good for you - read this Healthy Benefits of Beans from Real Simple.
Not only are beans good for you, they are delicious and economical!
This mediterranean white bean salad uses mostly pantry ingredients and is easy to make year round! It's the perfect accompaniment to any roasted or grilled meat or fish. You can even add a can of tuna to it and make it a main dish!
- Red onion - you can use white onion, scallions or even green onions.
- Sherry vinegar - or red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or your favorite vinegar.
- White beans - canned great northern or cannellini.
- Mint - or fresh basil or parsley.
- Red bell pepper - fresh or roasted red bell peppers.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Step by step instructions.
Begin by making a quick pickle of the red onions (alternatively you could us my Quick Pickled Red Onions.) After dicing the red onion, place it in a medium bowl with the vinegar and stir. Let it sit for 15 minutes, while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
Rinse and drain the beans.
Roughly chop the fresh mint.
Dice the red bell pepper.
Add the red peppers, beans, capers and mint to the bowl with the onions.
Drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Stir to combine and taste to adjust the seasonings.
This is such an easy, healthy and flavorful cannellini bean salad! The creamy beans, the crisp onions and bell peppers, the tangy capers.
Even better are all the ways you can change this up! Sometimes I add kalamata olives, sometimes feta or goat cheese. You can add a can of tuna and some parsley to make it a Mediterranean main dish salad!
This is an old recipe that I found in a 2009 Fine Cooking magazine and I've been making it ever since. I'm not sure if I changed it much or how it evolved through the years!
More bean salads to try!
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
White Bean Salad
- Place onions and vinegar in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes, while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the beans, bell peppers, capers, mint and olive oil to the bowl with the onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings.