Combine Thai flavors with Mexican tacos and you get Thai Beef Steak Tacos with Lime Cilantro Slaw. Easy and low calorie tacos that everyone loves!
Low Calorie Tacos
I remember when tacos to me meant ground beef seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning, a little lettuce, a few bits of tomatoes, lots of cheese and sour cream. That was it.
The best part? It's so easy to make them low calorie. Since I turned 60 and my metabolism apparently retired early, I've been watching calories. I know it's old school, but I'm old school. No paleo, keto or whole 30 for me.
The secret to these tacos? A little meat, lots of healthy slaw and whole wheat tortillas. No cheese. No sour cream. With all the flavors you don't miss them at all!
These tacos are so delicious and so easy to make!
First you make a yummy ginger marinade and marinade the steaks in the fridge for 20 minutes.
While the steak is marinating you can prepare the slaw. The original recipe calls for packaged slaw and packed carrot sticks, which you can certainly use, I used the shredding disk on my food processor. My secret for minced ginger? Freeze it and then grate it on a microplane!
After looking at my tacos laying on the plate, I ordered these taco holders. So expect my next tacos to be sitting up all pretty!
The next day for leftovers I chopped up the meat into bite sized pieces, tossed them with the slaw and make tortilla chips from the tortillas. It was great!
I found this recipe in an old 2008 Cooking Light Magazine.
More taco recipes to try:
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thai Beef Steak Tacos with Lime Cilantro Slaw
- 1/4 cup lime juice fresh
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups angel hair slaw or finely grated cabbage
- 2 cups matchstick cut carrots
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 6 inch fat free flour tortillas
- Combine the steak marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and add the steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, sugar, ginger, fish sauce chili sauce and garlic. Add the cabbage, carrots, green onions and cilantro. Toss to combine.
- Remove steak from fridge and let it rest while you preheat grill or broiler. Place steak on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas either by wrapping in foil and placing on the grill for about 2 minutes or microwave with a damp towel for about 30 seconds.
- Cut steak on the diagonal across the grain into thin slices. Divide steak evenly among the tortillas and top with slaw.